Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Getting 'Hooked' in Twitter Follows?

The big numbers of followers in some Twitter accounts used to fascinate me. "How could I do that?" I asked. Now, the fascination remains, but it's tempered by an equally fascinating subject about engagement.

Followers, yes! How many of these do you befriend?

It's one thing to have 10,000 or 50,000 or even 2,000,000 followers. It's another to engage with them in meaningful conversations.

Let me explain.

The real value of the followers rests on another metric: how many are engaging with you? How many reply to your tweets? How many retweets? How many mention you? How many click your links?

At one point I ended up saying, I'll be prouder with 100 followers who engage with me, than10,000 followers who are passive.

It really sucks not to have anyone reply back to you nor mention you, doesn't it? Sometimes it feels like you want to shoot yourself or jump out the 20th floor window.

Perhaps you would recall a scene in Pirates of the Caribbean. When Jack Sparrow realized the true motive behind his rescue, he asked everyone, "Did anyone come to rescue me just because he missed me?"

With all the marketing messages appearing in your Twitter timeline these days, you would feel the same way.

But when you engage and followers engage back, your Twitter experience would be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment