Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Upgrade to Mac OS 8, Hectic yet Smooth

Yesterday, it dawned on me that my Mac was still using OS 10.6.8. Upon checking Mac Support, I discovered that the latest OS version was already 9.2.2! Apparently, I couldn't jump to that version from where I am. I've got to pass through OS 8, though I think I didn't really need to get to OS 9 right away (ok, fine, stingy me! ^_^ )


Lia, one of my distinguished colleagues laughed heartily at how I could have possibly let Mac OS 7 and OS8 pass by. I defended myself by saying, hey, Mac 0S 10.6.8 worked fine for everything I needed to work online. I didn't feel any need to upgrade!

That defense became passé that very moment, however.  We had to check a software that required 10.8. 

Today I've fully upgraded to Mac OS 8. The process started last night with my purchase of the OS via App Store (thanks for the very affordable price of US$20). It took time to download the whole 4.7GB system file. I let the computer download the thing while I slept.

The Time Machine is a great thing. I had the Time Machine back up my computer while the OS was being downloaded. The new OS would later on pick up everything from the back up and it would feel like nothing happened.

Upon waking up this morning, I allowed the upgrade process to move forward. After a long breakfast and chat with my wife, my computer was already on OS 8 with all of my data intact. Yeah, just like that. Part of me recalls how agonising it was to upgrade my laptop, previous to Mac.

So, today I see a lot of new features. It's time to explore them one at a time.

Then, oh! I see my Time Machine backing up the new system. This is going to take time, all 9.17GB of it, in the background. I'd experience some slowness in the response time, but that would be all about it.

All in all, I'm absolutely grateful at how easy and affordable things are with Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment